Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mushiness


I guess it's my turn to put out a "mushy" post.  So, I apologize in advance that this is probably not going to be the most entertaining post from me.  It will, however, just as with my other posts, be an honest post from me. 

I have a confession to make.  

I know a lot of people.  Most people assume that I have a lot of friends, because I know so many people.  Truthfully, though I know a lot of amazing people, there are a much smaller group of people who are truly my good friends.  

This isn't because people don't want to "be my friend."  There are a TON of people who are friendly with me, and I try to generally be a friendly person toward anyone I meet.  Now, I'm certain on the other hand that there are people who absolutely don't want to be friends with me, and their reasons could be as simple as us just not having enough in common- which is completely fine with me.  

So, if that's not the case...Why?

There are just a number a possibilities.  Maybe, I'm afraid of being hurt, because we've all been hurt by friends before.  Possibly, it's just that I've just never been the type of person to label people in my life as my "bff" or even have a regular "girls' night out" over the years.  Quite honestly, it could even simply be that there is not enough room in my schedule to try to maintain a healthy marriage with my best, true friend- my husband, manage my home, raise my children, teach my children, be active in ministry, and work part-time periodically.  There are plenty of people who might say that they would love to be true friends with me, but we just don't have the same life schedules so that we can nurture our friendship.  To put it simply: There are just not enough hours in the day.  

A few years ago something changed.

I can't put my finger on exactly what it was, but there was a change.  Maybe, it was me.  Perhaps, I was more vulnerable to the idea of cultivating more true friendships.  Sure, I had a few good friends already, and I certainly wasn't going out to try to "up" my "true friends" number.  Time was still limited, and I was still busy as usual.  

Well, whatever it was that changed, I'm glad that it did.  And, I'm better off for it.  Over recent years, I have been enriched with some amazing, true friendships- including but not limited to the lovely ladies I collaborate with on this blog.  And, there have been a few truths that I have discovered and that I love about these friendships:

1. I love that we are not all the same. It would be so BORING, to be friends with a whole bunch of people just like me.  I LOVE and honestly appreciate our differences and how our differences enrich each one another's lives.

2. Distance doesn't matter. Though distance separates me from some of my true friends and I'm not able to see them all regularly, when we talk or connect (even after a long time of not seeing one another!) the bond and memories we share come back instantaneously.  I love that.  

3.  And, of course, one more thing always remains steady about these true friendships:  Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family. Proverbs 18:24 (The Message version) When a friendship is true, it is reciprocal.  I love how with my truest of friends we take turns carrying each other's burdens and encouraging one another.  

So, this is just my kind of "mushy" tribute to those who have enriched my life over the years in ways I didn't see coming and fulfilled needs I didn't even know that I had.  Thank you, true friends

~Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Aww!!! I love this! It is something i notice more as i get "older" (yuck) - how important true friendships are, and how much they mean to me - i am lucky and blessed to have the special friends i have, and this post is a beautiful reminder of that.

    ReplyDelete