Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day. Or, "That went well. Don't you think it went well?"

Deciding to break the norm for Father's Day this year, instead of cookout with extended family, i made reservations (but the very word, "reservations" made my skin crawl) at The City Tavern. Highly recommended by my sister, her husband, and some friends. My husband loves American history (seems to be a guy thing...) so i knew he would like it. Lunch, to be followed by a carriage ride through the Old City. In my head this was awesome. Here is what happened.

Got up with 4 of the 5 to make breakfast in bed for the husband. An omelet with tomatoes, chopped up kielbasa from dinner the night before, sharp cheese, and sriracha hot sauce, toast, a smoothie, and coffee. Then egg sandwiches for the 4, and smoothies. We all marched upstairs. Because not just he gets to eat breakfast in our bed. They all needed to. Yup. That always goes well. It really only ended with 2 spilled smoothes, and today i found an egg sandwich in my underwear drawer. Not too bad. After watching him eat (who doesn't want to be watched intently while eating?), he opened presents from the kids - a pocket chain saw (i mean, who doesn't need....a...), Best Dad Phillies tee shirt, beef jerky, and a cup you can freeze. I sat on a pile of *clean* laundry the entire time, since the bed was full of people.

I was on the fence about Church, just because we were going to be out all day. Toddler with a nap is often less than a treat, but toddler without a nap? You are basically asking for it. But, off to Church we went because Mr. Responsible said so. I even wore a skirt, nice top, and - WHAT?! - heels! yes, heels. Now that the little crank loves to walk, i can "enjoy" things of this nature once again, since i can hold her hand while she walks. I always envisioned wearing heels while holding her, and tripping. And maybe someone yelling, "TIMMMBERRRR" as i crashed to the ground. So flats it has been for 18 months. As the service went on, the napless emotions started to run high. 12:15, the designated, "we need to leave so we can..." time, we piled into the car and started for home. The crying began.

Get home, place frantic call to City Tavern trying not to sound insane, "so...is there like...a dress code...because...oh, there's not? great!". *Whew*. 6 year old girl likes to make amazing clothing combinations, 8 year old girl likes to wear dirty clothes that she doesn't believe are dirty. 10 year old is a boy. Enough said. 11 year old girl only seems to own cut-off jeans, black tee shirts, and a Mockingjay pin. I love them all. But until the call, i was a little scared. Husband changed into Best Dad tee - under a green polo shirt, i guess he was giving props to Christmas. Back to the car. This did not go over well with toddler. Crying all the way to Philly. *sinking feeling*

We park, and toddler is happy, because we get to walk 2 blocks to the Tavern - which, i really do highly recommend now myself! - and it is just so fun and amazing! Period dress, great history that your waiter or waitress will give you during your visit. We were waiting for our reservations, when i overhear the host on a phone call, "children? yes, they are welcome...*silence*...no-no, don't worry, we put them on the 2nd floor". For just a moment, i was miffed. Then toddler tried to knock over a candlestick and i was totally fine with the 2nd floor. It was beautiful, historicky, charming...food was amazing. Of course our waiter had a huge red bruise/cut on his nose, and i was giving 6yr old the evil-eye the entire time to NOT. SAY. ANYTHING. 10 minutes after being seated, toddler is ticked. Crying again.

We walk around, i say things in a way-too-cheery tone, pointing out obvious things to her to keep her from crying. Food comes, i grabbed bites in between walking around - after a piece of bread and biscuit were angrily thrown across the room by 18month old, sitting was OUT.
"Do you want a fry?" - fry on the floor.
"Want some peas?" - peas were spit/puked down my shirt, can't blame her.
"Want some of the turkey pie?" - bare toddler foot is placed into my pie.
I still ate it. It was delicious. Her feet are mostly clean. Our time there ended with me sitting her in a window, while she tried to catch or touch a fly.

Time for a carriage ride - this, i thought, surely toddler would enjoy. Not thinking that if she can't see the horse, she doesn't know it's there. And no longer wants to sit still. 10 minutes in (thank God it was just the 20 minute ride) crying starts. I gave her gum. We talked about ice cream, birds, and kittens. At some point, 6 year old and 8 year old decide to switch seats, and 6 year old almost fell out of the carriage. Ride over, time for ice cream, we walked *key for keeping toddler happy* to Benjamin's Best...a chocolate banana, orange creamsicle, chocolate, chocolate chip mint, strawberry, and peach AND peanut butter cup. I had to get two flavors, since i was sharing and all. Amazing. Again, highly recommend - the owner makes it fresh, makes up flavors too!

Then it was time to go home - by way of my parents house to let the kids run around with their Uncle and cousins - i guess really, all things considered, it was a perfect day after all. Lots of breath holding, quite a bit of crying, great food, lots of laughing, copious amounts of sweat, and best of all, spending time with our family and being thankful for a husband who loves his real job as Daddy.
~Sue

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited!! I can now comment! This is great Sue, as usual. You are too funny! It sounds like such a great day and I'm sure Mike was grateful for all of your planning. I've never been to the City Tavern, but now I want to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Now, I'm feeling the need to go there, too...guess I should reserve before the baby is born. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Stefan said to me "I think Sue went into Philadelphia or something?" and I got so excited, I said "Yes! she did! and she blogged about it and do you want to go????" I'm not sure if he thinks I will blog about it and that's why he started to pretend he could no longer hear my voice? ;)
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. And along those lines, does Mike know he's the sometime-subject of a blog now? :D ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete