Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Better Than a Jab in the Eye with a Sharp Stick

You know you've said it.  At the very least thought it.  You can't count the number of times you've had somebody tell you:


Children are a blessing from God.


However, even though yes, I do believe this, let's be real.  Some days it does seem like children are more of a suffering-because-it's-good-for-you blessing.


Here is a prime example.  This is not a random, kids-having-fun-and-playing mess.  This, right in the major traffic lane of my dining room, is a deliberate staging of what is supposed to be an I Spy picture.  All of those things were taken out of where they are supposed to be and put right where people walk ON PURPOSE.  Packets of jam that we HAD to bring home from a diner even though I make homemade jam that is a zillion times yummier and healthier than that stuff.  One, just ONE, flip flop.  The creative child even ripped off the lid of my box of cornstarch just for this project!  My heart rate increases with the stress of just remembering.  By the way, for those of you who are thinking "this isn't that bad, that's a clean day at my house", the above picture was one of the neater areas of the house.  The rest of the house was normal "kids have been playing here.  REALLY hard."

It was one of those days.  Those days where words to describe those days fail me.  A day where I discover a budding carpenter has happily entertained himself for a couple of hours by digging holes in the living room walls with a screwdriver.  A day where a budding scientist has decided to figure out how the vacuum cleaner works by removing all of the screws he can reach with a screwdriver.  A day where a budding artist coated an arm chair and a door with Vaseline.

There are times when my children grab my heart with both hands and bathe it in love.  My 4yo tells me that he loves me so much he wants to snuggle with me for always.  My 7yo tells me I am the best mama in the whole world when I impress him with some amazing culinary delight.  (Like allowing him to open a can of pineapple.)  My 10yo notices when I do my hair differently or dress up nicely and tells me how nice I look.  My daughter kisses me goodnight and tells me that she loves me.  I truly feel blessed beyond measure.  How could God trust *me* with these amazing gifts??

But this morning I did not even get my eyes open before I knew that today was going to be one of those days.  Dimly in my sleep I heard the sound of pounding feet and giggles.  Giggles that kept getting ssshhh-ed.  I thought maybe the water was running in the bathroom sink??  And then I heard one of my boys yell "Look at this water bomb!"  My eyes flew open then, but before I could get untangled from the covers, I heard my 4yo yell "Look how high I am!!! . . . Ummmm, somebody come help me . . . a little help here . . . I'm gonna fall, somebody come get me."  And then a supposedly-more-responsible-child calling back from a different room "Just a minute!  I'm busy."

Yes, wading through inches of water to pull a naked somebody down off the top of the bathroom closet door (????), I realized it.  Today was not going to be a day where being a parent made my heart overflow with love and gratitude.  Today was going to be one of those days where being a parent made me think of my college girlfriend quoting her Grandma:

It's better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick.

It might not get cross-stitched onto any samplers.  But at least I have hope that tomorrow will be a little bit better.


~Stephanie



1 comment:

  1. I would stitch it in a sampler. When is your birthday again?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete